Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Along the Watchtower by David Litwack Book Review

Lieutenant Freddie Williams is a war hero wounded in Iraq who must now undergo the long journey of recovery.  Frederick is the dauphin of the mystical kingdom who must undergo four trials to ensure the safety of his people and earn his right to be crowned king.  Freddie inhabits the waking world of therapists and learning to move forward after the tragedies that have befallen him.  Frederick quests at night blurring the lines of reality and fantasy for Freddie.  Both have important missions where failure is not an option. 

Along the Watchtower by David Litwack is not the type of book I would normally pick up.  There was something about the synopsis that kept me coming back to it and debating if I should give this book a try.  And let me tell you, now that I've read it, I am so glad to have taken a risk (for me) and read this book.  This is one of those books that is so emotionally charged and excellently written that words about it can't do this story justice-you just have to pick it up and read it for yourself. 


Freddie is a World of Warcraft gamer who uses the game as a way to escape the pressures of war.  But that world has invaded his mind, helping him cope with his therapy and facing the pressures of his broken home life.  Becky, is his physical therapist who helps him on his way to recovery.  But as his injuries improve he begins to realize Becky is the light in his life.  Can he face his own demons and embrace a life of happiness?

Frederick has trained most of his life for this moment-the trials that will allow his people to continue on in peace. But all of his training could not prepare him for the amount of faith and perseverance needed to complete them.  He stumbles upon Rebecca, the lovely gardener, who would do anything to help him with his quest.  Will he be able to trust in himself enough to face down the demons and become the king?

I worried in the beginning that this would be a complicated book to read with two realities, but I needn't have worried.  Mr. Litwack does a fantastic job of differentiating the realities of Freddie and Frederick.  The book is the kind of book that makes you reflect on the world around you as well as yourself.  I could tell Mr. Litwack was meticulous in his research on war, gamers, PTSD, and traumatic brain injuries.  This only makes the book more realistic.  Yes, I did say realistic when there is a fantasy world involved!

I'm not a gamer, but I do know something about World of Warcraft from friends who play the game.  It was helpful to have some background knowledge of the game, but not completely necessary.  There were parts that may have been more clear if I played World of Warcraft, but I think this book would appeal to anyone who likes powerful, moving stories.  There is no way I could give Along the Watchtower by David Litwack less than 5 stars, and if I was able to give it more than 5 stars, I would.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea, wonderful review! I'm on the tour, too, but I chose to read the "Prophet" book instead. I think I'll have to read this one now, too! It does look really interesting, and what struck me the most in his interview/guest post was how respectful and caring he was of trauma/PTSD--as well as his meticulous research! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Andrea. I'm so glad you enjoyed Along the Watchtower. I, too, appreciated the dual story lines and how deftly they were woven together! Thank you for joining us on this tour, and please take a quick moment to cross-post your review to Amazon and GoodReads--both places are huge for helping great books gain exposure.

    Emlyn :-)

    ReplyDelete