Friday, July 12, 2013

Novels vs Novellas...Where do you stand?

As I was reading a novella, which sounded too good to not read (and you can read the review later), I contemplated novels versus novellas and what people think of them.  I can't be the only person to dislike reading novellas because I feel they are too short?  Or can I?

First, it's probably best to define the difference between a novel and a novella.  A novella is a story that is generally less than 160 (so shorter than a novel) and has no sub plots and very few supporting characters.  Novels are generally longer, have multiple supporting characters and can have parallel plots. 

When I read a book, I like to get invested in my characters and their emotions.  I really feel that that can't be done well in a novella.  In fact, I generally steer clear of novellas.  If I like characters, I don't want the book to end at all.  But novellas end in 160 pages or less.  I almost feel cheated out of the story or ending when they end so abruptly.  I don't feel there is enough resolution to the climax of the story a lot of times.  For me, the longer the book, the better.  I like 500-600 page books (not that I get to read too many of them)!

I'm also a pretty thrifty person, I tend to buy things on sale, including ebooks.  But I feel like a lot of novellas are just not worth my hard earned money.  Not that the books aren't good, or that they are unreasonably priced, it's just a perception I have.  Especially if the ebook is more than a couple dollars, I want there to be at least 250 pages.  I recently saw free novellas online, but they had less than 100 pages.  Even though the story sounded like one I would enjoy, I just couldn't bring myself to click "buy" even if it was free.

So, am I the only one who prefers novels to novellas?  Do you find benefits to novellas versus novels?  Like me, do you have a point where you will not even bother to read a book since it's too short?

No comments:

Post a Comment