Sunday, August 18, 2013

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand Book Review

When you think of the typical book hero, what do you instantly think of?  Strong, intelligent, popular, a jock?  I'm not saying Alex, the hero in Farsighted by Emlyn Chand, isn't smart or strong, but he definitely isn't a jock or popular.  In fact, Alex is pretty much an outcast in addition to being born blind.  With the help of the supporting characters Alex will learn about himself and hopefully change the future.
On the first day of Alex's sophomore year in high school, he meets a new student to school named Simmi.  Shortly thereafter he learns a new psychic shop moved in next to his mother's flower shop.  He is pulled to the psychic shop owner and her daughter Shapri.  Simmi and Shapri become fast friends with Alex, especially when both Simmi and Alex learn of each other's "gifts".  Alex can "see" the future and Simmi can influence people's moods. 

Farsighted (Farsighted, #1)Alex is attracted to Simmi so when he starts to have "visions" of bad things happening he tries to hone his "gift" to try and prevent those future events from happening.  With the help of his new-found friends and an unexpected source, Alex must work to stop the visions from happening before it's too late.

I felt that Ms. Chand did a pretty good job in keeping Alex's blindness realistic.  Living with a blind boyfriend (and being exposed to his blind friends) I can more easily tell if a blind character is being portrayed realistically.  The one item that bothered me in terms of Alex's blindness is his snapping his fingers in agreement instead of nodding his head.  I have never experienced my boyfriend doing this and when I asked him if any of his blind friends did this he said no.  That being said, there may be some blind individuals snap their fingers in agreement, but not in my experience. 

Farsighted is the first in this new young adult paranormal/fantasy series and it starts out with a hit!  Not a lot of books have surprise twists for me since I read a lot, but this book had two big surprises for me and I loved it!  Ms. Chand did a great job crafting a well written book that is hard to put down.  I give it 4.5 stars out of 5 and I will be picking up the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment