Sunday, September 1, 2013

When Life Gets in the Way of Reading...

With the end of summer upon us I find that my "me" time and my reading time has slipped away like so many people's.  I have family, home and work obligations.  My significant other is taking college courses and needs my assistance and support to be successful in his classes (I may have gone to three colleges for a total of 8 years-I know my way around colleges).  This has left so little time for me to read.  And people who know me know I'm a voracious reader.  So, how have I been coping and finding a little me/reading time in between everything?  Little bits of time at a time...

My new favorite app is my Amazon Kindle app on my iPhone.  Now, I have an actual Kindle, but my iPhone is never far from my hand.  And no Amazon and Apple aren't paying me for the product placements (and of course there are other products that work the same, I just own these).  Standing in a super long line?  No longer an annoyance, but an opportunity to read a few pages of a book on the Kindle app.  Waiting at a coffee shop for that always late individual?  No problem, just grab the iPhone and open the Kindle app.

Now, you ask, what if you don't have an eBook?  Well... I don't have an easy answer for that one.  Right now I'm reading a paperback book that's pretty thick and not easily transportable (plus it's not mine so I don't want to risk crinkled pages).  However, when I'm at home I find myself grabbing the book for a quick couple of chapters.  Waiting for the boyfriend to finish getting ready--grab the book and read a few pages.  Need to occasionally stir a simmering pot of whatever?  Grab a book and stir one handed.  There are inherent issues with that one, but hey ya gotta work with what ya have.

These are just quick ways I can get in some of my reading when life just gets in the way of my reading.  I find that reading is a good stress reliever for me, can improve my mood, and be a good escape from the rush-rush of life.  I still love and want to sit down and read for a half hour, hour or more at a time, but as we all know, it just doesn't happen.  How do you cope with being so busy you can't read?  Or can't have "me" time for that matter?

I found this picture and couldn't help but share!

No comments:

Post a Comment