Saturday, April 13, 2013

When Do You Read Reviews About A Book?

Do you read reviews, then pick up a book?  Do you pick up a book, then in the middle of it of it read reviews?  Do you wait after you've read a book, then read any reviews?  It can be a conundrum for me.  I want to make sure I will like a book before I read it, but I don't want other's opinions to sway my view of the book.  And I run into the problem where a lot of times, I disagree with the reviewers opinion of the book. 

This blog is about book reviews, my love of reading, and trying to get me to expand my horizons of reading.  And for the most part it has helped me connect with authors I wouldn't have normally and to try books I wouldn't normally try reading.  That being said, I struggle with when to read reviews about a book.
I want to know if I will like a book before I read it and sometimes reviews are a great way to help figure that out.  However, I try to steer clear of reading reviews before I start a book.  If it is a book, I am really unsure of if I will like, I will read one or two positive reviews.  If, by the description, I think I will like a book, I don't read reviews until I have read at least 100 pages. 
Sometimes I start reading a book and it just isn't catching my interest.  I really don't like to put a book down when I have started it. That's when I find book reviews the most beneficial for me--at the point where I'm dragging my feet on finishing a book, but knowing I need to finish it before I will allow myself to start another book.  At this point I like to read reviews to see what other people feel about the book and find out if they were experiencing the same problems I was with finishing the book.  And sometimes it's even helpful for me to figure out why I am not enjoying the book as much.  For instance, I read a review on a book I was having problems finishing and it mentioned something that I hadn't noticed was bothering me, but as I picked up the book again, it really did.  I was then able to watch for these instances in the book and analyze how I was feeling about it.  Pretty deep reading style, huh? 
If I really am enjoying a book, and I just can't put it down, I will wait until I'm finished to read reviews (after I've written my own of course so I am not swayed in any way).  I like to see if people enjoyed the book as much as I did, or if they didn't like it why and did I agree with their reasoning. 
Whatever way works the best for you, the best thing is to pick up a book and try it.  You never know if you will truly like a book until you finish it.  And my recommendation is to finish a book once you started--the ending sometimes can make up for a lot. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment