Saturday, May 25, 2013

Progress by Amy Queau Book Review

Some of my gauges of how much I truly like a book are:
Can I put it down easily?
Can I can watch a movie instead of read the book?
Am I okay with only reading a chapter or two then putting the book down for awhile?
Do I constantly think about going back to the book if time doesn't allow me to read it right then and there?

So by that gauge I must have truly loved Progress by Amy Queau because I read it in one afternoon.  And I do love this book.  I say I read it in almost one sitting--only stopping to give the dogs a potty break and to get some dinner (I would've been content to not take that break).

Progress follows the story of Charlie and Jesse who have an undeniable attraction to each other, but are both scarred and insecure from their past.  Charlie, is the do-gooder who is overweight, but working on losing that weight.  Jesse, is the bad boy that can't leave Charlie alone.  Before you start thinking this is your typical "bad boy/good girl" story, don't worry it's not.  Jesse truly is a jerk at times, toying with Charlie's emotions, going from hot to cold in 60 seconds, and not caring about other people.  He's not your typical bad boy--he's a real man that actually has flaws.   

Jesse and Charlie's relationship is so complicated: they hurt each other, they forgive each other easily, their sexual tension is intense, and I could go on.  Ms. Queau does a fantastic job describing the torment that they go through in their relationship.  I truly felt insecure and hurt right along with Charlie.  That to me is a sign of a great author--if they describe the story so it allows me to feel what the characters are feeling.

Progress also addresses mental illness.  I have never read a book that describes mental illness in such a way as Progress does.  I was simply impressed with how Ms. Queau wrote about it in this book.   And I can't forget Charlie's success story in overcoming her anxiety and losing weight -- inspires me to go out and run!

This is a great read that you will not regret picking up!  The characters are flawed (let's call them real), relatable, inspiring, and unforgettable.  If you have been affected by mental illness or struggled with weight issues, I would highly recommend this book.  There were times I read it and went "oh, I know exactly what Charlie's going through."  I can't wait for the next book in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment