Friday, May 31, 2013

Traditional vs eBooks:The Dilemma with Technology

As I sit here writing this, I am waiting for my Kindle to charge so I can continue reading my book. I am now pondering the joys and annoyances of ebooks versus traditional books. In this technological age with so many ereaders out there, most people I know have one, but what happens to the traditional books? Do you stop reading them? Do you read some books on an ereader and then some traditional books?

I have only had my Kindle for a short time but have grown to love using it.  At first I was somewhat reluctant to actually read an ebook on there--I was just using it for instant streaming of videos and games.  Once I started reading an ebook I started to notice the good things about an ereader.  I like the fact that I can get click on a word and get it's definition.  eReaders are slimmer than books and easily portable.  The other nice thing is you can read them in the dark--they have their internal light which let's you read without disturbing people.  Or, like what I do is read until I fall asleep and turning off the light is just too hard. 

The next benefit of ebooks are the fact that there are so many indie authors out there that only only have electronic versions.  As I've done this blog and gotten more involved in the indie author scene I find myself becoming more engaged with the books because the authors are more involved and reachable.

The major downfall, as you probably already guessed, is that they have to be charged--they have a finite battery life unlike traditional books.  The other concern I have with ereaders is that they aren't as easily or cheaply replaced if lost or stolen.  I like to take books traveling with me, but I'm more cautious with taking my Kindle places. 
To me, there is nothing like the actual feel and smell of a traditional book.  Even though the ereaders tell you how far along in the book you are, I like seeing how far I've come the way you can with a traditional book.

Like most things there are pros and cons with every new technology and every choice we make.  For now I will definitely read a mixture of hardcover/paperback books and ebooks.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment